Designated as the mother of all the entrepreneurs raising startups featuring baby products and services, Supam Maheshwari has an interesting journey. Let’s unwind it.
|Date of birth||N/A|
|Hobbies||Playing squash and spending time with family.|
|Graduation||Delhi College of Engineering
B.E. Mechanical (1991-95)
|Post Graduation||IIM, Ahmedabad
Residence Contact Details
|Residence Address||110/10-111/10 Pune, Maharashtra 411045|
|Phone Number||91 77 9888 0888|
Office Contact Details
|Office Address||Rajashree Business Park
Plot No 114, Survey No 338,
Tadiwala Road, Nr. Sohrab Hall,
|Office Phone Number||+91-20-46608100 or +91-20-67297800|
|Official Email IDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Founded||Co-Founder & CEO
● Company Name FirstCry.com
● Aug 2010 – Present
● Duration 8 yrs 8 months
Co-founder & CEO
● Company Name Brainvisa Technologies
● Mar 2000 – Dec 2009
● Duration 9 yrs 10 months
|Also Worked at||N/A|
Supam used to buy things for his children while he was on a business trip abroad. Ten years ago, things were not as easy as it appears now. We can get everything online from food to taxi, apparels to apartments. But when e-commerce wasn’t one popular shopping destination, people used to buy things online. Though there was limited variety, kid’s stuff has a strong market cover. Combined business for only kid’s stuff was approximately fifty thousand crores at that time. This appeared to him not only as an opportunity but a need as quality products for children was a necessity for every parent.
He was a serial entrepreneur and knew how to make this thing work. HIs experience in logistics came handy and the financial stability from Brainvisa was an add-on. He simply marched ahead to make his plan work and his experience of seven years made him do it with much ease.
Today FirstCry has more than three hundred outlets across a hundred cities in India and is the largest online seller of children’s goods. The employee strength of FirstCry being over twelve hundred. The company has received six rounds of funding till now constituting $65 million approximately.
Series of events
|2010||Establishment of FirstCry and running business on an inventory based model. Four warehouses operational in Pune, Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata were used to keep stock. Revenue was touching the sky, as high as a hundred crores per annum.|
|2012||FirstCry started its first retail store.|
|2014||Retailers could sell their products online by getting it listed on FirstCry. Six hundred national and international brands were on board with FirstCry.|
|2014||FirstCry launched its first home brand – BabyHug (apparels) and Cute Walk (footwear)|
|2015||Tied up with six thousand hospitals and offered a FirstCry mother’s box to women who just gave birth. This was a great marketing strategy and over seventy thousand parents got attached with FirstCry this way.|
|2016||Acquired Mahindra’s Baby venture named BabyOye.|
Lesser known facts about Supam Maheshwari
- He is a first generation entrepreneur, being into startup business since it wasn’t very popular.
- He is also the co-founder of XpressBees – the largest logistics company in India.
- His first company was Brainvisa technologies – the largest e-learning company in India – which was acquired by Indecomm Global for $25 million in 2007.
- He was the first in the industry to allow other retailers to sell on his online portal. This trend was later followed by everyone else.
- He shut down the personal care selling business Goodlife.com in 2013 as it didn’t prove to be a good idea. He is known for taking tough calls.
- Supam never took a job, soon after his education was complete, he jumped on board to real business.
- Supam has great sense of understanding and knew that people prefer buying children’s clothes after holding them and thus he expanded the online business to offline mode.
- FirstCry has been awarded as “Most Popular Online Site” (2013) owing to Supam’s endeavours and tireless efforts.
“The aspiring entrepreneur must remember he/she must identify the right business opportunity, plan well and have the belief, courage and patience to see it through.”
“You become richer by experience, there is no shortcut to it.”